I am a landscape and seascape oil painter. I have been painting for over 30 years. Inspired by the beauty of nature that surrounds me. I try to paint daily while life continually gets in the way! Life? What is that? It's what happens when I am not painting! Being a wife and mother, finding the remote, the shoes, signing permission slips. Where is the permission slip? "Mom why is there alizaran crimson on my permission slip?" I paint en plein aire as often as possible, and studio paint when I can't, like at 1:30 in the morning. Often enlarging small plein aire paintings onto a large canvas. I hike all over Mt. Diablo and the surrounding hills gathering field notes for my large paintings in the form of sketches, notes, small oil sketches, and photographs. I have been chased by cows, tangled up in barbed wire, soaked in rain swollen creeks with slippery crossing rocks, and all the while I have to make sure I am back in time to pick up a kid from school! Back in the studio, I get to work on the day's information I have gathered. Recreating it on a large canvas. When I hear, "what's for dinner?" Dinner? What's for dinner? I should know this. My mother always knew this. It should be on the table in about ten minutes from now, and I haven't a clue as to the answer of that question. I am still trying to figure out how I got alizarin crimson on the permission slip!


Please enjoy my work, I will post as often as possible. Feel free to leave comments or to contact me by e-mail.



All works © 2010 Catherine McClure Lindberg No images may be reproduced without express permission from the artist.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day!

Diablo's Black Hills  30x40"  oil on canvas 

Today I went to visit some friends of mine in a local art show.  I have no desire to do a show on Mother's day weekend.  I prefer to be pampered.  I went to lunch with my family and walked around the show visiting all the artists I knew.  It was a sleepy little show.  Some admitted that they thought it sounded like a good show, billed as a Fine Art Show.

A good piece of advice for anyone entering a show is to go see the show first hand if you can.  I spent 2 years going from show to show before I ever started doing shows.  I looked at crowd size, parking availability, quality of art.  I also looked to see if the crowd was buying.  Were people carrying packages or brats and wine?  I looked at booth styles, what held up well in windy situations, what didn't.

Any promoter can make a show look and sound good on paper.  The actual proof is in the pudding.  If you can't go in person, send someone, or try to talk to people who have done the show.  Go to a current show and ask around, ask if someone has done a particular show and get their opinion on it. Now take into consideration what they sell and the quality of their art.  If they didn't do well, and they don't really have a good product, well that may explain their experience and you need to ask other's.  Today's "fine art show" had booths spaced very far apart in a strip mall.  I don't know if the promoter felt the walk was too narrow or maybe particular shops asked not to have booths in front of their place.  But some booths seemed very disconnected from the show.  That is also something to consider.  That may be you next year in that far off booth in Timbuktu!  So like I said, do your homework before entering a show.

No comments: