I am a landscape and seascape oil painter. I have been painting for over 30 years. Inspired by the beauty of nature that surrounds me. I try to paint daily while life continually gets in the way! Life? What is that? It's what happens when I am not painting! Being a wife and mother, finding the remote, the shoes, signing permission slips. Where is the permission slip? "Mom why is there alizaran crimson on my permission slip?" I paint en plein aire as often as possible, and studio paint when I can't, like at 1:30 in the morning. Often enlarging small plein aire paintings onto a large canvas. I hike all over Mt. Diablo and the surrounding hills gathering field notes for my large paintings in the form of sketches, notes, small oil sketches, and photographs. I have been chased by cows, tangled up in barbed wire, soaked in rain swollen creeks with slippery crossing rocks, and all the while I have to make sure I am back in time to pick up a kid from school! Back in the studio, I get to work on the day's information I have gathered. Recreating it on a large canvas. When I hear, "what's for dinner?" Dinner? What's for dinner? I should know this. My mother always knew this. It should be on the table in about ten minutes from now, and I haven't a clue as to the answer of that question. I am still trying to figure out how I got alizarin crimson on the permission slip!


Please enjoy my work, I will post as often as possible. Feel free to leave comments or to contact me by e-mail.



All works © 2010 Catherine McClure Lindberg No images may be reproduced without express permission from the artist.

Monday, January 25, 2010

Rainy Monday

Spring Blooms 9x12" oil on canvas (sold) plein aire piece

Today we are getting dumped on in the SF Bay Area. It is really raining here. A good day to stay in the studio! The above painting is what our local landscape will look like in about another 2 months. It is very green right now, but the wildflowers are not in bloom yet. Spring Blooms is a view of Mt. Diablo in Contra Costa County, CA. from the Walnut Creek area.

I am going to sort through my brushes today. I never throw a brush away. When it gets worn, it just gets delegated to a new container to be used for a different purpose, (ie blending, scraping, etc). Well, at the moment I am counting 11 containers of brushes on my paint table that sits to the left of my easel. And as I reached for one, a moth flew out of it! When moths take up residence in your brush container, you know they haven't been used in a while..... Like I said, maybe it's time to get rid of a few.

Then I will move on to priming some canvases and cutting some boards. I want to glue canvas on to board to use for outdoor plein aire painting.

Winter days like this is a wonderful time to do all these tasks and get some studio painting done. Time to put the coffee on, I have some work to do......

No comments: