I am a landscape and seascape oil painter. I have been painting for over 30 years. Inspired by the beauty of nature that surrounds me. I try to paint daily while life continually gets in the way! Life? What is that? It's what happens when I am not painting! Being a wife and mother, finding the remote, the shoes, signing permission slips. Where is the permission slip? "Mom why is there alizaran crimson on my permission slip?" I paint en plein aire as often as possible, and studio paint when I can't, like at 1:30 in the morning. Often enlarging small plein aire paintings onto a large canvas. I hike all over Mt. Diablo and the surrounding hills gathering field notes for my large paintings in the form of sketches, notes, small oil sketches, and photographs. I have been chased by cows, tangled up in barbed wire, soaked in rain swollen creeks with slippery crossing rocks, and all the while I have to make sure I am back in time to pick up a kid from school! Back in the studio, I get to work on the day's information I have gathered. Recreating it on a large canvas. When I hear, "what's for dinner?" Dinner? What's for dinner? I should know this. My mother always knew this. It should be on the table in about ten minutes from now, and I haven't a clue as to the answer of that question. I am still trying to figure out how I got alizarin crimson on the permission slip!


Please enjoy my work, I will post as often as possible. Feel free to leave comments or to contact me by e-mail.



All works © 2010 Catherine McClure Lindberg No images may be reproduced without express permission from the artist.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Priming Canvas



El Capitan Meadow 18x24" oil

Above is an example of a painting in progress that shows the prime color that I use under my painting. I prime with acrylic paint and I use 1 part yellow, 1 part red, and 3 parts white. I tend to mix up a batch in an old butter tub and prime 10 to 20 canvases at a time. There is nothing worse for me than to have that urge to paint and to not have a primed canvas ready. You can oil paint on top of acrylic but never paint with acrylic on top of an oil painting. It will not stick and it will peel off.

I like to prime my canvas with a warm color. If I am painting outdoors it keeps the white canvas from blinding me. But I use this color under all my paintings as I feel like it really warms up the painting as it comes through some of the colors. I often paint late at night in my studio. I am not sure if it my lack of sleep or if the lighting is not good enough, but when I view my late evening's work the next morning I can see small what I call holes of white peeking through all over the canvas. I to tend to paint thin. I suppose if I really globbed on the paint like an impressionist I would not have this problem. But now the prime color shows through and I actually like the effect. Rarely do I ever go in and touch up those "holes" anymore.

Try this mix, or come up a shade of your own. I like using acrylic as it keeps me away from the thin wash of turpentine or thinner and color. Any opportunity to avoid exposure to and use less solvent is a plus health wise.

2 comments:

Mark Sheeky said...

I sometimes use acrylic to tone like that too and tend to use either a yellow ochre sort of colour (well, Golden transparent yellow oxide) or ultramarine.

Catherine Lindberg said...

Any color will work Mark. I've seen blue used as well, but I prefer the warmer color underneath. But any color will cut the glare of a bright canvas blinding you out doors or glaring through your painting in all the tiny holes of spots you've missed.