I am a landscape and seascape oil painter. I have been painting for over 30 years. Inspired by the beauty of nature that surrounds me. I try to paint daily while life continually gets in the way! Life? What is that? It's what happens when I am not painting! Being a wife and mother, finding the remote, the shoes, signing permission slips. Where is the permission slip? "Mom why is there alizaran crimson on my permission slip?" I paint en plein aire as often as possible, and studio paint when I can't, like at 1:30 in the morning. Often enlarging small plein aire paintings onto a large canvas. I hike all over Mt. Diablo and the surrounding hills gathering field notes for my large paintings in the form of sketches, notes, small oil sketches, and photographs. I have been chased by cows, tangled up in barbed wire, soaked in rain swollen creeks with slippery crossing rocks, and all the while I have to make sure I am back in time to pick up a kid from school! Back in the studio, I get to work on the day's information I have gathered. Recreating it on a large canvas. When I hear, "what's for dinner?" Dinner? What's for dinner? I should know this. My mother always knew this. It should be on the table in about ten minutes from now, and I haven't a clue as to the answer of that question. I am still trying to figure out how I got alizarin crimson on the permission slip!


Please enjoy my work, I will post as often as possible. Feel free to leave comments or to contact me by e-mail.



All works © 2010 Catherine McClure Lindberg No images may be reproduced without express permission from the artist.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Whoa, where have I been?

American Canyon 4" X 8" oil on canvas

Well, I certainly have not been very good at posting lately. Saying I suck at it would be putting it mildly. Life has its way of getting in the way most certainly.

It is a delicate balance of Art and life. Keeping dinner on the table, the garden in check, bills paid, and new art on the easel. I could sit and post that I cleaned up the garden today after our recent storms and turned two compost piles, incorporating many bags of free coffee grounds from Starbucks which promptly raised the temperature of both piles. But I know you don't care about that.......... where's the new painting? is what your thinking!

Since we had a high of 42° yesterday I painted in the studio. This little photo was done earlier than that as it was dry and ready to be photographed. I painted it from a watercolor sketch I made on location in American Canyon, Utah. Going through your field book to find something to paint is a great thing to do on a cold gloomy day when you don't want to go outside. My moleskine book is full of future paintings. And small paintings are fun and quick to paint and can be priced very reasonably for shows which helps in this economy.

2 comments:

Nancy Wistrom said...

Catherine you're way too hard on your self. Being a Libra, I always think of balance as the key: if you didn't keep the bills paid, the dinner ready, the garden in check - you wouldn't be settled enough to create the fabulous paintings that you do. Here's to balance!

Catherine Lindberg said...

One of the best pieces of advice I was ever given as a mother was..... Your child will remember as an adult whether or not they were loved, whether or not you spent time with them, and whether or not you had fun with them. They will not remember if there was dirty dishes in the sink, or if you didn't dust the furniture one Saturday, or if you did laundry at midnight so they would have clean underwear for school. So slack where needed and just make sure the important things they WILL remember are taken care of.

Thanks Nancy. Yes, here's to balance!