I am a landscape and seascape oil painter. I have been painting for over 30 years. Inspired by the beauty of nature that surrounds me. I try to paint daily while life continually gets in the way! Life? What is that? It's what happens when I am not painting! Being a wife and mother, finding the remote, the shoes, signing permission slips. Where is the permission slip? "Mom why is there alizaran crimson on my permission slip?" I paint en plein aire as often as possible, and studio paint when I can't, like at 1:30 in the morning. Often enlarging small plein aire paintings onto a large canvas. I hike all over Mt. Diablo and the surrounding hills gathering field notes for my large paintings in the form of sketches, notes, small oil sketches, and photographs. I have been chased by cows, tangled up in barbed wire, soaked in rain swollen creeks with slippery crossing rocks, and all the while I have to make sure I am back in time to pick up a kid from school! Back in the studio, I get to work on the day's information I have gathered. Recreating it on a large canvas. When I hear, "what's for dinner?" Dinner? What's for dinner? I should know this. My mother always knew this. It should be on the table in about ten minutes from now, and I haven't a clue as to the answer of that question. I am still trying to figure out how I got alizarin crimson on the permission slip!


Please enjoy my work, I will post as often as possible. Feel free to leave comments or to contact me by e-mail.



All works © 2010 Catherine McClure Lindberg No images may be reproduced without express permission from the artist.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Hazardous Waste & Tightie Whities!

Today I decided to clean out my Silicoil Brush Cleaning Tank. It is basically a wide mouth jar with a metal coil in it.  It has been years since I last cleaned it!  The paint residue gunk had risen so high that it was almost above the coil.  It was mostly wet gunk and not enough usable odorless thinner.  

I went outside, got a rag from the garage and dumped the gunk out. I used a palette knife and scrapped out all that I could and then wiped it clean with paint thinner.  Well, the gunk and dirty rags were all contained in one pile that I later put in a plastic bag and tied shut. But this is hazardous waste. I need to take it to the hazardous waste disposal facility and explain to them what it is.  Now here is the tricky part........

When my husband retired from the Coast Guard, we retired all the white underwear to the rag bin.  They make great rags ..........  even the tightie whities ....... Except I never put them in my paint box or else they end up out with me when I go plein aire painting.  That is embarrassing when you are talking with someone who has approached you and you reach for your rag to wipe your brush. Your tightie whitie that is.  Talking and gesturing with my hands as I do when I talk, with a tightie whitie waving around..........  a dirty tightie whitie........... Not pleasant.  So, they are for home use only.

Back to the hazardous waste.............  I have a bag full of diry tightie whitie rags to drop off at the hazardous waste facility............... oh joy......... I have some explaining to do.........

No comments: