I am a landscape and seascape oil painter. I have been painting for over 30 years. Inspired by the beauty of nature that surrounds me. I try to paint daily while life continually gets in the way! Life? What is that? It's what happens when I am not painting! Being a wife and mother, finding the remote, the shoes, signing permission slips. Where is the permission slip? "Mom why is there alizaran crimson on my permission slip?" I paint en plein aire as often as possible, and studio paint when I can't, like at 1:30 in the morning. Often enlarging small plein aire paintings onto a large canvas. I hike all over Mt. Diablo and the surrounding hills gathering field notes for my large paintings in the form of sketches, notes, small oil sketches, and photographs. I have been chased by cows, tangled up in barbed wire, soaked in rain swollen creeks with slippery crossing rocks, and all the while I have to make sure I am back in time to pick up a kid from school! Back in the studio, I get to work on the day's information I have gathered. Recreating it on a large canvas. When I hear, "what's for dinner?" Dinner? What's for dinner? I should know this. My mother always knew this. It should be on the table in about ten minutes from now, and I haven't a clue as to the answer of that question. I am still trying to figure out how I got alizarin crimson on the permission slip!


Please enjoy my work, I will post as often as possible. Feel free to leave comments or to contact me by e-mail.



All works © 2010 Catherine McClure Lindberg No images may be reproduced without express permission from the artist.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Copyright Infringement

Diablo Summer  30x48" oil on canvas  ©2003 Catherine McClure Lindberg

Last Saturday a small local paper in a nearby city ran an image of the above painting without my permission. It was a great spot, right on the back page of the paper, taking up 1/6th of the page. Nice size.........  Although there was no credit to me at all.

I phoned the paper yesterday and spoke with the art director.  I informed him that the image belongs to me and that I own the copyright.  I also explained that the public notice of copyright is posted on the front of the painting but is conveniently cropped off in the printed image in the paper.  He was appalled that someone on his staff did that. He actually had the newspaper on his desk and was just waiting for the artist to call. The first thing he said, was "What can I do? How can we fix this?"  This guy is new at this job, having come over from a big paper. He told me that he obviously has some rules to go over with his staff and journalism etiquette.

The paper is going to run a thumbnail image of the same painting and an explanation with full credit to me.

Everyone is happy, problem solved.  Never let anyone get away with using your art with out permission.  Many thanks to those who recognized my work and drew it to my attention as I don't live in that  city and may have never seen it or knew about it.

1 comment:

Robin Purcell said...

Good to hear from you. I didn't go to Jane's critique because all my current paintings ,as usual , lack a center of interest, and I didn't need to hear it again. Yes, I am busy but close to being done with moving 11 years of stuff....you handled the copyright thing beautifully...it is a lovely painting, I like the composition and the clouds. Best, Robin